Holiday Vibes

Holiday Vibes

Tuesday 21 April 2015

Breaking Through the Ballroom Wall!!

To quote a very wise fish: 'Just keep swimming, just keep swimming. What do we do? We swim, swim.' And she was right!

Dory, The Wise Fish

After a pretty hellish week of ballroom last week, I was not feeling optimistic about tonight's ballroom class at all. I pretty much felt like I was trying to tango my way through a brick wall - and so far it hadn't been working.

Saturday had been a rather large disaster on the whole (for the full story, read here), so my confidence was pretty shaken and this week was Foxtrot which only made me more uncomfortable as it's my least favourite dance to learn. It's just so damn hard! Needless to say, I didn't really want to be dancing tonight.

However, it turned out to be one of the best classes I've had. There were lots of giggles, even when I was going very wrong. Some casual name calling and gentle teasing but it all helped to lighting the mood as I struggling through the 'curving feather' and other such figures that I have already forgotten the names of. Every time I go through this dance, it very slowly starts to make sense. Tonight I think I may have actually got the basic combinations right and started to get the hang of the new steps properly.

I have to keep reminding myself that I've only been dancing 7 months and I've still got lots left to learn, but every month gets better and I feel more confident in my own shoes - quite literally. So, after shuffling my way through the Foxtrot, it was onto Samba. Now, there is a dance to lighten the mood altogether. The ultimate party rhythm and even with my apparently 'erratic' bounce action (I'm little too enthusiastic apparently) it was a great evening to a brilliant evening of dancing.

I'm glad that I persevered through a tough week and kept my head up tonight. It just goes to prove that even when things seem pretty rubbish, they can be turned around if  you just let go a little bit and have some more. I think I have learned to not take things too seriously tonight. It makes a big difference to how dancing feels. Plus, the more I dance the better it'll get, there is no point in throwing in the towel with something I enjoy so much - even if sometimes, it's the most frustrating thing in my week.

Fingers crossed for next week - it's Waltz! My favourite!! Hopefully, it'll be another good-en and I'll learn some new figures.

Check in soon,
M xx

No comments:

Post a Comment