Holiday Vibes

Holiday Vibes

Saturday 25 April 2015

Orange Fights and Coaster Wars

Since I moved back home from uni in July 2014, my family have all been under one roof again. Something that we had all sort of grown out of whilst I was away. At one point, there was just my parents as I was at uni and my sister was in India for a month or so.

The first few months were, I'm not going to lie, pretty awful. With my sister and I always at home as neither of us were working there was a great deal of stepping on each others toes - metaphorically speaking, of course. We would always snap at each other and get unreasonably bitchy about issues that actually meant nothing in the grander scheme of things, but because we couldn't get any space it was too much for us to get on with each other.

Then we both got jobs and everything changed very much for the better! *throws hands in air and parties* Because we spent a lot less time arguing over the TV control and a lot more time out of the house away from each other it actually got a lot easier to get on. We actually started to have conversations and get to know each other again as young women, not just the little girls who played dress up eons ago.

My sister works at a hospital and sometimes does night shifts. This week, we hadn't really seen each other at all as she was on nights and I work during the day. So today, when I was back from triathlon training, I found her awake (recovered from last night's shift) and in front of the telly. Perfect for a relaxed, civilised catch up...... or so I thought.

We were watching How I Met Your Mother - one of our favourite lazy day shows. Now, if you are fans of the show, you will know all about a Slap Bet and what it entails. For those of you who don't watch the show, it's a fairly self explanatory idea. Two people place a bet and the person who loses get slapped across the face as hard the winner can hit. My sister voiced her interest in a slap bet and how hilarious it would be. I agreed, thinking it would be rather amusing.... I also thought it would be a good idea to sling a coaster across the room at her head..... and a war broke out in the downstairs of the house.

Coasters shot across the room and hit many things - TV, the dog, walls, a fruit bowl - and sometimes, we managed to make them fly at each other. Sian then decided that the coasters were not sufficient weapons and switched to some past-there-best oranges. I was suddenly under fruit fire. I dived into the utility room using our dividing wall as a shield which didn't last for long. Sian flung round the corner, lobbing a orange straight into my side. It ricocheted and I pounced on it.... In the scramble that ensued, Sian managed to turn 360 degrees in an effort to snatch the fallen ammunition and punched me in the face.

Naturally, we dissolved into hysterics on the kitchen floor at the ridiculousness of our endeavours and took a time out from our little duel. However, the fruit bowl was still calling to me and once Sian was settled back in front of How I Met Your Mother, I sent a rather large orange on a perfect trajectory. It smacked her right in the middle of her forehead. The look of sheer confusion on her face at being struck by a huge orange bullet was priceless and we were both lost to the giggles again.

It doesn't happen very often but when Sian and I have a ridiculous morning like this I realise just how lucky I am to have her as a sister. Who else could I hurl oranges at and only get laughter in response? The relaxed catch up that I was expecting never happened but fruit wars are way more fun!

If you are reading this and you have a sister who means the world to you, why not give her a cuddle (or throw something at her) to show her you care. There are only a hand full of people that will throw themselves into a citrus war with you - honest!

Happy Saturday everyone!  

No comments:

Post a Comment