Holiday Vibes

Holiday Vibes

Thursday 9 April 2015

Godspell: A Review

I have always loved the theatre, ever since my Grandparents started taking me to see pantomimes when I was very little. A love of musicals was only nourished further when I started to perform in the annual 'summer production' at my secondary school, being very lucky to play some large roles during my time there. I get caught up in the rousing music, the beautiful costumes and the mesmerising vocalists.

https://www.londontheatredirect.com/img/eventgallery/Oliver_211.jpg

I was lucky enough to play Nancy in Oliver! The picture below is me as Fantine in Les Misérables

Me as 'Fantine'










It doesn't take much for a musical to make me cry and Tuesday 7th April was no different. I went to see Godspell at GLive in Guildford (my home town). It was outstanding. With only two flights of stairs, a raised platform (with live band on stage underneath said platform) and 5 chairs as set, the cast filled the stage and retold the parables that Jesus performs throughout His teachings. Being raised a Christian, these stories hold extra meaning to me as I try to live my life by the messages that are taught. The way the cast reenacted the stories was enthralling. Multiple character changes, physical theatre, absolutely stunning songs performed by some of the best singers I've heard in a long time... I was blown away.

The lighting was spot on throughout the performance, aiding the audience to gauge the mood of the scene. Whether it be through moving gobos and flashing strobes for a party feel or an increasing darkness falling over the stage as Jesus died, the lighting matched the emotion of the performers perfectly and transported me out of my chair and into the action of the musical which is what I hope for from every show I see.

Their audience interaction during the first act was hilarious. They pulled up people from the stalls to participate in different games they were using to link all the parables together. MAJOR kudos to the last man that they bought up onto stage, he through himself into it quite literally with a stage death and joined in the little dance routine the cast went into. His confidence and lack of inhibition was brilliant and I think everyone in the audience was very happy to watch him being just as flamboyant as the actors who were with him. The whole feel of the show was quite relaxed with the stop-start feel to the first act and the use of the little games. It made for some great improvisation and brilliantly timed off script humour from the performers, making the show even more accessible.

http://strg.stageagent.com/images/show/291/rhyjdghe.4pd.jpg
One touch I particularly liked and have never seen during a show before was during the interval. The whole cast (except Jesus) stayed on stage, in view of the audience, and just chatted to each other, had a little drink, chilled out and tuned up their instruments. It was such a fun little extra to watch the actors more or less out of character, on the stage. They didn't interact with the audience from what I could see but their presence on the stage did give the performance an 'insider' sort of feel. I didn't feel removed from the stories happening on the stage because I wasn't removed from the actors - they were just normal people..... Normal people who were all ridiculously attractive and could blow the roof off a theatre with their vocal talent but hey....! 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCAELJ7WgAIB983.jpg:large
The only issue that I had with the show was that the mix of the microphones wasn't quite right and at some points it was just too loud. (Yes, I am an OAP on the inside). One girl in particular, who had a wonderful voice, was overpowering her mic so it was sometimes quite difficult to listen to her singing because it was just a fraction too much. It improved throughout the show and as it is a touring show, it must be quite difficult to balance everything out when moving so frequently between venues. It wasn't so much that it detracted from the overall enjoyment but there were times where I was consciously waiting for her to sing so that I could prepare myself for the volume. I find that if I'm conscious of a certain element during a performance, it isn't usually a good thing.

On the whole, the show was breathtaking and I was inevitably in floods of tears during the crucifixion. Unfortunately, Godspell was on only in Guildford for 2 nights so it has already moved on but if you have the chance to go and see it at a theatre near you, I would highly recommend it. If it ever comes back to Guildford or somewhere local, you can guarantee I will be there to see it again!



If you get the chance, GO! It was a triumph.

Megan xx
 

No comments:

Post a Comment