Holiday Vibes

Holiday Vibes

Saturday 25 April 2015

Flying and Shuffling - A Triathlon Diary

The countdown is really on now. In the next 3 months I have a triathlon, a 10km run with a group from work and then another triathlon. I am going to really have to ratchet up my training to make sure I'm prepared for all of it.

I went for a run on Wednesday night and it felt really good! I finally felt like I was running instead of shuffling. My pace was quicker than it has been in about 18 months and I felt like I had more in my legs when I stopped. So, I'm looking forward to the 10km. I'm hoping to beat my previous time of 1hr 12mins and 42secs. If I can get under 1hr 10mins, I'll be really chuffed.

My Wednesday run. About 4km
After Wednesday, I was feeling positive about training this morning. We went off without any issues and cracked on with the cycle ride. With the addition of cages on my pedals and raising my saddle, I felt much more efficient on the bike this morning - I'm still tweeking the logistics of my bike as I get more used to the feel of it. I think I'm nearly there, need to raise the saddle a little more and then I think I'll be sorted for the triathlon weekend. I felt like I was really flying on the bike, making use of all the gears and gradient changes to my advantage and really pushing on the hills. I think I knocked some time off which is also brilliant. Finally feeling convinced that I will be able to complete this race without looking out of place in a crown of athletes!

Cycle route for this morning.
My run, however, was a different story! It was awful! Well, the first 0.75 miles was really good. I felt strong, my pace was nice and steady... and quicker than it has been previously but it all started to go down hill rather quickly after that. Firstly, I really needed the loo so thought I'd stop at the toilets at the half way point of my run, only to find that they've put a charge to get through the door. The door won't unlock until you put 20p in. So, I had to finish my run with a very full bladder - uncomfortable! Then, whilst trying to ignore the call of nature, I got killer cramp in my calf and had to stop and stretch it out before carrying on... this happened at least three times before I actually managed to shake the stabbing pain in my leg.... and then, just as I was getting back into the swing of things, I got a stitch down my left side that felt like my ribs were trying to break through my skin. It was agony so I had to stop and walk that off..... it was ridiculous. Pretty much everything that could have made my run worse, happened this morning. It had all started so well and after my mid week triumph, I was very frustrated with my performance.

And then, to top everything off. Dad had been driving past me on my run and when I got back to the car park, he said 'you did look like you were struggling a little bit, you looked quite tired'..... *exhalation of irritation* You think, Dad? I just had a rubbish run, don't tell me I looked tired! 


The run from hell
Oh well, here's to my next run. Fingers crossed it'll go better than this mornings. But still, I am happy with how it went today. All training is good training, as they say.

Check in soon

M xx


No comments:

Post a Comment