Holiday Vibes

Holiday Vibes

Wednesday 10 June 2015

An Early Saturday Splash - A Triathlon Diary

I woke up a lot earlier than expected on Saturday morning and I felt surprisingly rested, even though I was waking up before 8am at the weekend. With nothing much to do and wanting to get out of the house, I thought I'd head to the lake for a quick morning dip.  


When I arrived it was a little overcast but the car park was heaving. So much busier than on Wednesday night and I could already hear the rhythmic slapping of the swimming going past. From the lake side you can only really see their arms going through the top half of their rotation and the occasion head bob up if someone is 'sighting' - technical term for 'making sure they are going in the right direction'. It's actually a lot harder than you think it is to keep going in a straight line, to a particular point when you are in the water. 


The weather started to break as I was getting ready by the time I got to the water's edge in all my gear.... looking the best I have ever looked in my life..... there is, unfortunately, no photographic proof of this.... it was glorious!


The first orange buoy you can see in the photo below is the start of both the 400m and the 750m course. You swim out to that buoy, do which ever lap you fancy and then head back in land - this avoids being plowed into by the really super fast semi pro dolphins in wetsuit people who seem to do more than one lap of the 750m course! (Crazy scary fit people)


The water temperature wasn't too bad and the sunshine helped a lot to keep the surface of the water warmer than a few feet down. It was a very uneventful swim session. I did a nice slow lap of the 400m course to get warmed up and relaxed and then took a little break. Bobbed about in the shallows for a while and then went out for another, slightly faster, more intense lap of the 400m course. 

If I head down on Saturday this week.... and if I'm feeling brave...... I might try the 750m course, just to see how it feels to be out in open water for that long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment