Holiday Vibes

Holiday Vibes

Saturday 6 June 2015

A Reminder Of How Good Life Is...

This is not really a revelation for me, I know how lucky I am to have so much love and joy and ease in my life. But I had a fairly vivid reminder of this yesterday evening.

I was on a beautiful walk with my parents. They have set themselves a challenge to walk to the pub once a weekend during the summer and they asked if I wanted to join them last night. With nothing else to do and the promise of dinner paid for by Mum, how could I refuse?

The sun was out, the canal was gently flowing - carrying leaves and blossom along in the dappled sunlight of the evening. It was so picturesque. I think sometimes in our busy 21st century lives with laptops, Netflix, cameras and smart phones we forget to just observe the breathtaking beauty around us. I know I'm guilty of it. I took my camera with me last night with every intention of sharing the photos on Facebook or Instagram and let the world know what I'd been up to. In the moment, however, I didn't want to see the world through the lense of a camera and I didn't feel the desire to post it on a timeline. I just wanted to be in it - to stand in the moment and watch the river, hear nature and feel the sun on my skin. (Yes, my inner romantic was on a major high at this point)

We were about half way through the walk when a man came round the corner in the opposite direction. He was disheveled, looked exhausted and had three huge bags of goodness knows what strapped to his back. He was carrying another massive bag in his hand. The load he was carrying was about double the width of him and towered a good foot over his head. It must have been excruciating to carry.

Now, I don't know his story. He may have made that decision to be a nomad - he may be the happiest man on earth, moving from place to place and experiencing life in it's most primal/basic way. But I couldn't help thinking about the circumstances that someone must have to be in to make carrying your world on your back and having no home the best option... or the only option. I could never imagine what it would take for life to become so bad that I had no one to turn to, no one to offer me help and no where I could go which forced me to take my life with me.

I suppose, in some respects, this is a very narrow minded view. My family is so 'root' orientated. We have always had a home, I have always had somewhere to come back to. The same with my grandparents - they have always been the roots of our family. Supporting us, welcoming us into their home whenever we asked, providing advice, love and safety since before I was born. Not having that support network is something I could never imagine.

I know for others, family like if just not the same. But I would hope that no one was ever so lonely that they had no-one at all. Everyone should have somewhere to turn - if they choose to do so. As I watched the man walk on my heart went out to him and I prayed that it was his choice to be there and not a result of having literally no other option.

At the pub, whilst I was having a lovely meal and a pint, I realised the biggest problems in my life right now are that I'm too scared to ask a guy on a date and that I'm not 100% happy with the way my body looks. My life is so damn easy! I don't have to worry about where the next meal, pay cheque, or warm bed is. I know when I come home at the end of work that there will be food and shelter. I get in my car in the morning without even thinking about it some mornings. Looking at this man, who appeared to have little more than nothing, I was reminded of just how much I have without even registering it. I am so very lucky and so very grateful for what I have.

Regardless of whether that man had made the choice to live like that or whether he was left with no other choice, I was returned home feeling incredibly glad of the life I have and a little ashamed at how, sometimes, I forget to be thankful for all the small pleasures I have on a daily basis.

Next time you're in starbucks buying an iced coffee or flicking threw the TV channels, moaning that there is nothing on to watch across 200 channels.... just remember how bloomin' lucky you are to have those 200 channels to be frustrated with or how nice it is to actually have £4 to spare on a coffee that you don't 100% need. Spare a thought for people who have it worse than you, not because you deserve to feel bad for having money or a TV license but because we have to remember how lucky we are to live in a world where we can have such blessings at our finger tips without really registering just how blessed we are.

Be happy, be blessed, be considerate.
And observe the world around you.... it really is so beautiful.... how about you put down the camera and just look with your eyes. Experience the world first hand.... not through your Facebook updates.

Happy Saturday everyone!
M xx

No comments:

Post a Comment